CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2009/01/20

Job Musings.

For those of you who personally know me, you know where I work.

For those who don't, it's probably in my profile, or I've blogged about it before.

I work in a job that deals with the public. A coffee shop really. Needless to say, we get quite a few characters.

To start, work is fun mostly, but with labor cuts (hey i don't know why don't you STOP printing all the worthless 'learning' crap you send us quite sending special promotional cups and sleeves and NEW signboards every time we floor set, instead of cutting labor so that wait times go up and customers start getting peeved.) it's always quite busy and people sometimes get really pissy.

Tonight, with it's frigid temperatures, falling snow, (snizzle, aka snow flurries, as my friend calls it.) and first real day of school was one of the day's where it seems like more than half the customers you really just want to give them decaf and whole milk or what not. (not that we do, but it's nice to think about on occasion) The customers who were pleasant, were more than pleasant, they were a joy to serve. The ones who weren't.... well punched in the face could have happened.

And then you just have the odd ones. They don't fit into the "they were really nice, and sweet and this is what is going on in their lives!" or the "give the witch decaf." categories, the ones that are just awkward socially, not quiet mentally stable or worse.... SCREAMING for attention.

The Customer of the night falls into the screaming for attention category.

I searched long and hard for a picture to best illustrate this for the readers, but a search turned up nothing that came close. The closest was a Christina Aguilera picture, but this chick made even that photo seem like the good religious girl next door.

It starts with a slightly on the more snippy side ordering at drive through. (strike number one. When we have to work drive through, it's a loooong day, we have to deal with most of the jerks. Why is it that most of them come through DT? so starting out with a chip on your shoulder is just going to make us hate you and make your experience less than enjoyable.) So I answer, though I'm not at the DT station as I'm busy making prep or stocking or something else since we don't have enough labor and multitasking is an ABSOLUTE must, she states her order just as I get around to the input computer and just in time for me to glance at the camera to see whose on the other end. (advance warning of snippy customers is always a good thing) All I can see clearly since it's dark outside is this vomitous pink and black sweater thing and black holes where eyes should be. Obviously... the black wholes isn't true... entirely.

She pulls up and I greet her with a smile on my face (I'm a great actress what can I say) that is the exact opposite of the scowl on hers.

Her eyes finally meet mine, and I have to say people, I didn't know that you could get that much mascara on fake eyelashes with out them dropping off into your lap. Nor was I aware that anyone seriously though that putting that much black eye shadow on your eyes was prudent.

I kid you not. She was (i think) going for that smokey cat-eyes thing. It only served to swallow her eyes like a cat eating a canary.

Not to mention she was falling (almost) out of her pink and black striped two sizes to small sweater.

To put it best, I wouldn't be surprised to see hooker boots or to hear she was off to her night job.

No on should ever TRY to like a nickel and dime whore. Seriously. it's not a good idea

2 Musings of Other Wanderers:

Bobby said...

Oh, for the life of a janitor, where all your work is done after hours, and there's no one to bother you at all!

firebirdsinger said...

*dies laughing* Oh, man, that's rich! And I think the reason that DT is worse is because you don't have a personal connection. It's a lot easier to be bitchy to a random voice coming from an electronic box than it is to be bitchy to a cute college kid that's obviously working her can off.