CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008/11/04

As promised DandD and Starbucks

So, I'm an advertising major. So I try to follow the advertising news. AdAge.com is a great site.

They had an article on the new trend in bashing your competition.

I've Seen other things dealing with Dunkin Donuts and their bragging about beating Starbucks in a taste test.

Which is cool, and all. But it's like they expect this to attract more people to buy their coffee. As A Starbucks Barista, Dunkin is leaving at one of the key attractions of Starbucks coffee.

Yes I agree Starbucks is overpriced. But at the same time, Starbucks isn't just about the coffee. It's the atmosphere. (which I agree most of the time the store set up could be a bit more cozy.)

It's a place where regular costumers are known by name, face, and/or drink, and we talk and have fun and ask you about your life.

Also as the company has a low turnover rate, it allows us to be consistent in employees, meaning much easier to make a personal connection with customers.

I have made, not only friends and acquaintances from my customer at my store, I'm also seriously dating one of them.

Dunkin Donuts doesn't offer that connection, coziness or "third place" mentality that Starbucks does.

Which is part of the reason people keep coming back for our coffee.

Oh and also? The taste test commercials? most often only show you what the advertiser wants you to see. Which isn't to say that people don't prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee, just that take them with a grain of salt.

--30--

1 Musings of Other Wanderers:

firebirdsinger said...

I hate coffee anyway, so it's a moot point. But when I do want something, I go to Starbucks. Doughnut smell makes me sick. :D But I agree--the atmosphere is nice, too.